The Cougar Volunteer Spirit is Alive and Well in Charleston

This blog is a project by public relations students at the College of Charleston. Since its inception in 2004, the Cougar Volunteer Spirit has showcased dozens of students who give of their time, effort and hearts to helping those in need. They don't do it for recognition like this, but their stories need to be shared because of their admirable qualities of character and caring. "Be the change you want to see in the world," Mahatma Ghandi said. That's the Cougar Volunteer Spirit that roars through these pages. Click on the side photos to see the articles. See photos of the students who wrote the pieces at the end. Thanks!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

BRITTNEY EVERTON- Charleston's Veterans Hospital


Charleston Student Has Heart for Local Veterans
By Christy Harrison



Everton (far right) pictured with two sorority sisters at an event
for their philanthropy.

When you meet Brittney Everton, you won't ever forget her. She has a heart of gold and a smile bigger than the moon. She is so fully engaged in everyone else, you feel like her best friend even after first meeting her. Brittney has had a heart for helping others since she was little. When she came to CofC, she found her calling.
Everton found her love in Charleston's Veterans Hospital, where she gets to work first hand with local veterans who absolutely need that smile of hers. With a love for helping others, Everton has devoted her time in the Veterans Hospital, but has divided her time with other activities as well.

About Brittney Everton
Hometown: Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
Major: Exercise Science/ Nursing
Expected Graduation: December 2011
Volunteer Activities(Current/Past): Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center, Watchful Eagle Program at the VA, Charleston Miracle League, Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry, Metanoia, Dance Marathon for the Children's Miracle Network, Phi Mu Oyster Roast that benefit's the Children’s Miracle Network.

What do you enjoy most about community service? I love the feeling of being able to help someone that is less fortunate than myself. If I can make a difference in someone’s life, that is the most rewarding feeling in the world.

What is your most memorable volunteer experience?
Good question..Probably when I was volunteering with the Watchful Eagle Program at the Veterans Hospital and with that program, you are assigned a veteran who has no family or friends and has a terminal condition. My veteran and I were outside the hospital one day and he looked at me and goes, “Thank you for being a friend. Today’s my birthday and you have made it the best one yet.” He died five days later. Just knowing that I impacted someone’s life that drastically has changed my world forever.

What are you most proud of contributing to your organization(s)?
I am most proud about the diversity of organizations that I’ve worked with. They all bring something different to the table and help in different ways. I love that I can bring different ideas to these organizations that I’ve worked with because of my diverse volunteering experiences.

How have you personally benefited from volunteering?
I’ve become entirely more humble and grateful for what I have. I’ve also fallen in love with the need to help people and make an impact in this world.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about volunteering?
I would tell them to definitely go for it, but only if they are doing it for the right reasons. If they are looking to be applauded and personally thanked every time, they may be disappointed. They should be humble in their good works because I’m a firm believer that boasting about your works is not the way that Jesus himself did.

How do you think your friends and family would describe you?
I think my friends and family would describe me as a loving person and always willing to help people. I’m a bit hard-headed at times because I will help others before myself. But its only for the good!

What are your plans after graduation?
My plans for graduation are still up in the air. I was planning on joining the Navy to become a nurse officer, but after my second knee surgery less than a week ago, I’m not so sure if that’s what God’s plan is for me. So if not, I’m definitely working in the VA with the men and women that risked their lives for this country.

To learn more about the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center of Charleston, please visit http://www.charleston.va.gov/

No comments:

Post a Comment