The Cougar Volunteer Spirit is Alive and Well in Charleston

This blog is a project by public relations students at the College of Charleston. Since its inception in 2004, the Cougar Volunteer Spirit has showcased dozens of students who give of their time, effort and hearts to helping those in need. They don't do it for recognition like this, but their stories need to be shared because of their admirable qualities of character and caring. "Be the change you want to see in the world," Mahatma Ghandi said. That's the Cougar Volunteer Spirit that roars through these pages. Click on the side photos to see the articles. See photos of the students who wrote the pieces at the end. Thanks!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reggie Coleman - Salvation Army

College of Charleston Senior in Communications
By Armin McGiLL


Reggie Coleman is a senior at the College of Charleston. He is double majoring in chemistry and physics. In his spare time Coleman volunteers at the Salvation Army in North Charleston.


Coleman was awarded a full academic scholarship to the College of Charleston after attending the Governor's School in Greenville, S.C. It almost seems prevalent that Reggie will be receiving two degrees in spring of 2011.

Coleman offers free tutoring for students. He places advertisements on Craig's List offering free tutoring service. Dedication and giving back to the community are very important to Reggie. He believes that giving back and working hard is the key to becoming successful.



About Reggie Coleman!


Hometown: Columbia, S.C.

Major: B.S. in Psychics & B.A. in Chemistry

Graduation Date: May 2011



Volunteer Activities: I receive a wonderful feeling contributing weekly to volunteering at the Salvation Army. North Charleston is one of the poorest cities in the country. After seeing a homeless person receive some food or clothing really gives me a heart-welling feeling.



What do you enjoy most about community service? Mostly African Americans are receiving aid at the Salvation Army in North Charleston. I am African American and it really affects me mentally sometimes. Most importantly I smile when someone replies thank you. Every weekend is different at the Salvation Army and I look forward to volunteering there each week.



How would friends and family describe me? My family and friends would describe me as hard working, reliable and trustworthy. I treat everyone as I would like to be treated.



What would you tell someone thinking about volunteering? My message to anyone thinking about volunteering is to "Just Do IT" just like Nike!



How have you personally benefited from volunteering? Volunteering has opened my eyes to reality that everyday while I live my normal life, there are people who everyday don't know what they will eat or where they will stay. I am definitely more humble because of the opportunities I was able to give people at the Salvation Army.



What are your plans after graduation? I plan on going to Kuwait where I will be doing laboratory work. With my two degrees I am expecting my starting salary to be in the range of 100k.

No comments:

Post a Comment