The Cougar Volunteer Spirit is Alive and Well in Charleston

This blog is a project by public relations students at the College of Charleston. Since its inception in 2004, the Cougar Volunteer Spirit has showcased dozens of students who give of their time, effort and hearts to helping those in need. They don't do it for recognition like this, but their stories need to be shared because of their admirable qualities of character and caring. "Be the change you want to see in the world," Mahatma Ghandi said. That's the Cougar Volunteer Spirit that roars through these pages. Click on the side photos to see the articles. See photos of the students who wrote the pieces at the end. Thanks!

Monday, March 28, 2011

KARYLE FADER- St. Jude's Children's Hospital

Physical Therapy to Community Therapy
By Emily Buckley

Karyle Fader (left) and sorority sister Ashley Varone (right) at a Christmas fundraiser

Karlye Fader is a determined woman gifted with empathy and grace. She enjoys the rewarding feeling she gets by giving back to those less fortunate than herself. She volunteers for several organizations in the community, while still holding a position in her sorority and doing well in her studies.
Karlye has devoted much of her time to helping others since high school when she volunteered for an organization that assisted adults with mental disabilities live on their own. Upon moving to Charleston, Fader was determined to find community work to give back to a city she loved so much. She did exactly that by volunteering at both MUSC and Charleston Miracle League. As if that was not enough, she became philanthropic hairman of the Tri Delta sorority, where she supports Saint Judes Children’s Hospital.
Fader takes pride in her eclectic service. She is happy that she can lend a helping hand to multiple people with varied needs.
About Karlye Fader…
Hometown: Reisterstown, Md.
Expected Graduation: Spring 2013
Major: Health and Human Performance with an Exercise Science concentration
Volunteer Activities: I volunteer for MUSC in the emergency room as well as the Inpatient Physical Therapy Clinic. I also volunteer for Charleston Miracle League to help children with disabilities play baseball. In addition to this, I am the philanthropy chairman for Delta Delta Delta at College of Charleston, where we support the children of St. Jude's Children’s hospital.
What do you enjoy most about community service? I love the sense of joy I feel after I have devoted my time to helping out in the community. After helping someone in need and seeing the appreciation on their face, it makes me feel good about myself and feel good about giving back to a community that has given so much to me.
What is your most memorable volunteer experience? Volunteering for Charleston Miracle League has definitely been my most memorable experience. Seeing the joy on the children’s’ faces while they are engaging in fun activities is the most rewarding part.
How does it personally benefit you? I have personally benefitted from volunteering because I have come to be very thankful for what I have and have learned to take nothing for granted.
What would I tell someone who is thinking about volunteering? I would tell someone to go for it. While, at first, it may seem a little awkward and uncomfortable, it gets so much better and at the end of the day you will walk away feeling very satisfied and proud for what you have just taken part in.
How do your friends and family describe you? I think my friends and family would describe me as a very loyal, passionate, and dedicated person. I am always willing to help people in need.
What are your plans after graduation? After graduation I plan to go to physical therapy school and receive my doctorate degree in physical therapy.
For more information about the work Delta Delta Delta does to support St. Jude's Children’s hospital please contact me at kmfader@gmail.com. Also, for more information on Charleston Miracle League, visit the website: www.charlestonmiracleleague.org

No comments:

Post a Comment