The Cougar Volunteer Spirit is Alive and Well in Charleston

This blog is a project by public relations students at the College of Charleston. Since its inception in 2004, the Cougar Volunteer Spirit has showcased dozens of students who give of their time, effort and hearts to helping those in need. They don't do it for recognition like this, but their stories need to be shared because of their admirable qualities of character and caring. "Be the change you want to see in the world," Mahatma Ghandi said. That's the Cougar Volunteer Spirit that roars through these pages. Click on the side photos to see the articles. See photos of the students who wrote the pieces at the end. Thanks!

Monday, March 21, 2011

KATHERINE LEE- Lowcountry Pregnancy Center and Hotdogs for the Homeless


Student Turns Learning into Serving
By Claire Brunson
Katherine outside of Addlestone Library on the College of Charleston campus.

Katherine Lee: a courageous, loving, and talented giver. Giving to others has always been a part of Katherine's everyday life and it is something she receives great joy in doing.


As a senior at the College of Charleston, Katherine is the captain of the frisbee team and a active participant in service learning. Not only is she able to mentor other individuals while volunteering but she also promotes positive attitude and team work on the field as well.


As a great friend of mine, I can confidently say that Christianity is a big part of her life and has been a motivator in her mission to help others. This mission is clear in her volunteer experience with various organizations such as the Lowcountry Pregnancy Center and Hotdogs for the Homeless.


One-on-one with Katherine Lee

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pa.

Major: Physical Education with a concentration in Health Promotion

Minor: Psychology

Graduation: Spring 2011


Volunteer Activities (current and past): Lowcountry Pregnancy Center , Rural Missions, Hotdogs for the Homeless, Bridge Run, Cinderella Project


What do you enjoy most about community service? I really enjoy just getting to meet people in the community and bonding together with people with you may not have met outside of school and also, just feeling like you are apart of something outside of your comfort zone.


Most memorable volunteer experience? The work I did my sophomore and junior year with Hotdogs for the Homeless. Every Thursday night it was great just spending time with the homeless community of Charleston and building relationships with people who usually get overlooked by others and just hearing their life stories while connecting with them and building friendships with them.


What are you most proud of contributing to your organization? Just my time. There are a lot of different places I could spend my time but when you volunteer at a place consistently you see your time going to good use and you are not wasting it.


How have you personally benefitted from volunteering? It has definitely opened my eyes to the needs of the Charleston community, and allows me a certain part of the city that I wouldn't be able to see unless I was involved in community service.


What would you tell someone who is thinking about volunteering? Do it, just do it. It is a great place to meet people, it's fun, and it is a way to find strengths that you would have never known about yourself. Also, just connecting with people is such a valuable experience.


How do you think your friends and family would describe you? My friends and family would day that I am fun-loving (she laughs) and that I just love to be around people and serve people. I definitely think I have a heart to serve and to just step outside of myself and give back to those because I have just been given so much.


What are your plans after graduation? (she laughs) I think this summer I am going to move back home and do some work at a local hospital in their psychology department and I have applied for an internship back in Charleston in the fall at an organization called My Sister's House which is a organization that works with women and their children who have suffered from domestic violence. But besides that, I am just going wherever the wind blows me, my sails are up (she says laughing).


To learn more about Lowcountry Pregnancy Center go to lowcountrypregnancycenter.com








No comments:

Post a Comment