The Cougar Volunteer Spirit is Alive and Well in Charleston

This blog is a project by public relations students at the College of Charleston. Since its inception in 2004, the Cougar Volunteer Spirit has showcased dozens of students who give of their time, effort and hearts to helping those in need. They don't do it for recognition like this, but their stories need to be shared because of their admirable qualities of character and caring. "Be the change you want to see in the world," Mahatma Ghandi said. That's the Cougar Volunteer Spirit that roars through these pages. Click on the side photos to see the articles. See photos of the students who wrote the pieces at the end. Thanks!

Monday, March 28, 2011

TRICIA CASE- YMCA

"Y" She Helps
By Peter Thompson

Tricia helping a young man with his homework at Charleston's Cannon Street Y

Our first meeting was at Starbucks on Calhoun Street and we simply exchanged numbers and got a feeling of each other’s personalities.  The more I got to know Tricia the more impressed I was with her enthusiasm.  Tricia said that she grew up in a neighborhood where YMCA wasn’t in her community.  As a result she strongly believes a lot of people from her area were uneducated.

ABOUT TRICIA CASE..Hometown:  Dallas, Tex.
Major:  Arts Management
Graduation:  May 2011
Volunteer Activities:  I along with a few other College of Charleston students volunteer a few times a week at the YMCA on Cannon Street, tutoring and playing with the children after school.  In a typical I go up to the YMCA three to four days a week.  I typically take Friday off because I play softball.

 
What do you enjoy most about community service? 
I really enjoy helping out the children.  Nothing excites me like the look on their face when they figure out a math problem, or simply finish their homework.  It gives me a sense of satisfaction to know that I can help others grow and learn.  It really is one of the best feelings to know that you have helped some of the more unfortunate kids in our community.  I get a great sense of satisfaction doing this and I plan to continue to help kids with my career.
How do you think your friends and family would describe you? 
I think they would all describe me as very caring and nurturing

What would you tell someone who is thinking about volunteering?  I would tell them that they really won’t know how good it feels until they try it.  Several years ago I had no idea that a little volunteer work could change how I felt that day.  It will give you a sense of satisfaction knowing that you have helped someone else.
What has been your most memorable volunteer experience? My most memorable experiences have a lot to do with the sorority that I am involved in.  I am a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority and have had numerous fun experiences with my sisters.  I also have a lot of good memories working at the YMCA.  Playing basketball or duck duck goose with the little ones brings a smile to my face every day.
What are your plans after graduation? Well I am not positive, but I would like to be able to continue to work and help children.  I believe I could make a great social worker or something along those lines.  Law School is always in the back of my head as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment